Profis |


Bitter 1:4 defeat at Lech Poznan

On the second matchday of the UEFA Europa Conference League, Austria were beaten 1:4 by Polish champions Lech Poznan. The Violets were the better team for a long time, Matthias Braunöder equalised the early goal of the Polish team. But a missed penalty by Austria at the score of 1:1 started the turnaround in this match. Poznan scored three goals after the break to secure a clear home victory.

Marvin Martins instead of Ziad El Sheiwi - that's all the changes in the starting eleven. Lucas Galvão also reported fit in time, Manfred Schmid trusted the winning team from Hartberg.

Lech Poznan drew 2-2 with Pogoń Szczecin at the weekend, coach John van den Brom made three changes but stayed true to his 4-2-3-1 system.

Exciting first half with - unfortunately only - two goals

Austria started very well, the Poles were kept well in their own half by high, aggressive pressing. After 15 minutes, the hosts found their way into the game better and also had the first scoring chances. After a good pass by Michał Skóraś, João Amaral appeared in front of Christian Früchtl, but shot over the goal (14.). Skóraś and Joel Pereira's shots were clearly off-target or over (17th, 23rd). Austria made their presence felt through Andreas Gruber. After a counterattack and a pass from Matthias Braunöder, the winger went towards goal alone, but his shot was too central (24th). A cross from Gruber was saved by Filip Bednarek in the Polish goal (25th).

In the middle of Austria's good attacking phase, however, Lech Poznan took the lead: João Amaral sent Mikael Ishak into the hole, the double goal scorer against Villarreal also scored against the Veilchen - 1:0 in the 27th minute.

But the Viennese had the perfect answer, after less than two minutes they equalised. Manfred Fischer set up Matthias Braunöder, whose first shot was blocked, but the follow-up was on target - 1:1, the game was open again.

Bednarek saved a shot by Braunöder (32nd), a little later Dominik Fitz was brought down by Pedro Rebocho in the penalty area. Referee Peter Kjaesgaard from Denmark immediately awarded a penalty, but Manfred Fischer failed from the spot against Filip Bednarek (36.). A final shot by Fitz missed the goal and the score was 1-1 going into the half-time break.

Lech Poznan decided the game in their favour after the change of ends.

Second half, Lech Posen had the first chance again. Früchtl was able to save a shot by João Amaral (49th). Aleksandar Jukić's goal was rightly disallowed for a foul (53rd). After an hour, Manfred Schmid made his first substitution, Muharem Husković came on for Aleksandar Jukić.

Andreas Gruber took a shot similar to the one in Hartberg, but this time the ball whizzed narrowly past the second bar (64th). Unfortunately, the hosts took the lead again in return, Michał Skóraś scored after an assist from Joel Pereira to make it 2-1 (64.).

Can Keles and Georg Teigl replaced Dominik Fitz and James Holland. Austria tried to equalise again, but substitute Kristoffer Velde made it 3:1 in the 76th minute. Manfred Schmid made another double substitution, Haris Tabaković and Dario Kreiker came on for Andi Gruber and Marvin Martins. But after the third goal by the Poles, Austria's offensive efforts had little success - on the contrary, Velde made the final score 4:1 with a deflected shot.

Lech Poznan - FK Austria Wien 4:1 (1:1)

Poznan: Bednarek, Pereira, Šatka, Milić, Rebocho (46. Douglas), Karlström, Kvekveskiri (58. Murawski), Szymczak (58. Velde), Amaral (70. Marchwiński), Skóraś, Ishak (86. Dagerstål).

Austria: Früchtl; Ranftl, Mühl, Galvão, Martins (77. Kreiker); Braunöder, Holland (71. Teigl); Gruber (77. Tabaković), Fischer, Jukić; Fitz (71. Keles)

Goals: Ishak (27.), Skóraś (64.), Velde (76., 90.); Braunöder (29.)

Yellow cards: Rebocho (35th), Szymczak (58th), Douglas (66th), Bednarek (69th); Gruber (65th), Galvão (89th), Braunöder (90.+1).

Poznań Stadium, referee Peter Kjaesgaard (Denmark), 20,102 spectators